Sunday, October 1, 2017

Dancing Machines


We have one month of apartment living under our belts and I think we are making the most of it.  We have visited the pool several times a week and the playgrounds have been put to use as well.  I have even ventured out on the greenway for a few runs and just tonight we walked to Harris Teeter for dinner.  I think both the Hubby and I feel more relaxed – and not having to worry about yard work is a big plus! I would have to say the biggest thing I miss is the fenced in yard and the ability to just open up the door and let Jasper out – he has this uncanny ability to want to go out at he most inconvenient times.  I really shouldn’t complain though, he has done great with living in the apartment and with his (apparently) new role as Riley’s best friend.  She is all over him, all day long, and to his credit he just takes all the “love.” 
Watching parade

Riley continues to be a bit of a challenge at times.  She has thrown down a few temper tantrums lately that have caused me to step away and regain my composure.  She will lay down on her belly kicking her legs and throwing her arms.  Honestly they don’t last long, but it is the fact they seem to happen out of nowhere that frustrate me.  The psychology major in me knows how I SHOULD handle them and even the “why” the tantrum is happening, but the overtired and burnt out mom in me has other ideas.  Luckily, the positive and fun moments outweigh the bad and then she just looks so darn cute when she is apologizing to me that I can’t stay frustrated for long.  She is good.  When she knows I am the most frustrated, she will take my hand and hold it up next to her cheek and look up at me with huge eyes. She knows what she is doing… she is going to go far in life. 😉 She loves to color and draw, but she does get frustrated with herself as she has high expectations of how she wants it to look.  Her current favorite thing to write is a list for Santa.  She is still switching back and forth from her left to her right hand at times, so I am not sure which she is more comfortable with over all.  She loves to dance and sing and makes up her own “Daniel Tiger” ish songs about dealing with things (You know what I mean, “If you have to go potty, stop and go right away. Flush, and wash, and be on your way.)  She likes to curl up in my lap and be read to – currently favorite books are about unicorns, puppies, and Shimmer and Shine.  She is showing huge improvement at putting puzzles together and we keep practicing.  She loves to play with her Barbie dolls and will get them involved in whatever her brother is playing.  She still has a soft spot in her heart for dogs and anytime we encounter a dog in public we have to ask if she can pet it.  Her favorite foods remain cheese (all kinds, including cottage cheese), orange juice, applesauce.  She continues to love Curious George.  Her current favorite color is pink and her favorite thing to wear is a dress and sparkly shoes or a pink tutu.  At this moment she wants to dress up as Shine from Shimmer and Shine for Halloween.  She does not have a singular favorite toy, but usually it is a stuffed animal. 
Cousin Love! 

Landon has been expressing himself through dance! I was in a wedding last month and he did not leave the dance floor AT ALL! He loves to dance and sing – and to watch himself on video dancing and singing.  He isn’t nearly as dramatic as his sister, but he does get his feelings hurt easily.  They have been struggling with playing together lately because they each want to be in charge of the “plot” and when they disagree a fight will ensue.  I tend to let them figure it out, but I do have to intervene at times when they start to get aggressive and Landon ultimately gets his feelings hurt.  Landon loves to put puzzles together and build his train tracks and Matchbox cars track.  He still loves the Rescue Bots and creates story lines with them on a daily basis.  His favorite food is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and milk.  He prefers to watch Super Wings or Blaze and the Monster Machines – or people playing with toys on YouTube.  His favorite color is green.  He doesn’t really care what he is wearing, but he would prefer to have socks on 24/7.  He currently wants to dress up as AJ from Blaze for Halloween, but has also requested that we make him a Blaze that he can wear over his costume.  He doesn’t have a particular favorite toy at the moment as it changes on a minute to minute basis, but it is usually Jet from Superwings or Batman.  He usually carries three toys with him at a time and has been carrying a backpack to make that easier.  He does have a certain set of stuffed animals that need to be in his bed at night – a firetruck pillow, a T-Rex, and a turtle.
The last two weeks we have been working on learning how to spell our names and write some of the letters.  Riley doesn’t sit still well, so I have to break down her lessons into parts.  Landon will sit with me for an extended time and loves to practice and receive praise.  He has mastered the spelling and recognition of his name and Riley is doing very well with it.  Neither of them are super interested in writing yet, but I will continue to work with them on that one.  I am in the process of looking into preschool and daycare programs, but I don’t want to start them in a program here and then move, so there is a delay on that one.  I do need to find them an activity to get started – like maybe dance?
Our big adventure this last month was traveling back to Illinois for Riley and I to be in a wedding! She was pretty excited to wear a fancy dress, but she did not throw her petals.  Her brother did manage to steal the show a bit as he stood at the end of the aisle yelling “Wilee, you need to throw them” and then loudly asking me when I was going to throw my flowers as I walked by.  They went to their first parade while we were there and quickly learned that if they looked cute and waved they would get candy thrown at them.  We also managed to catch the annual Stearman fly-in and they both loved seeing all the planes coming and going.  We even picked some apples with Memaw and Papa.  



Feeding the goats
Pony Ride
Watching the plane come in... 
Candy!

Parade Time! 





No comments:

Post a Comment