Thursday, March 30, 2017

We're good.


To be honest, I feel like my posts may be becoming a bit boring.  The kids don’t have those month to month developments like they did when they were younger, but now I can be entertained daily by the words that are coming out of their mouths.  Landon likes to answer questions with his famous catch phrase, “ No, I’m good.”  (Example – “Landon do you need to use the potty?” “No, I’m good.”) Riley is starting to talk to me about her dreams and woke me up yesterday telling me about her “water dream.”  The other day I caught her in her room trying to put shoes on her Barbie dolls and she indicated that the process was a “catastrophe” and I could not stop laughing.  I am trying to keep up with writing the cute and funny things they say in a notebook, but sometimes there are so many in a day I would need to carry the notebook with me!

Landon asks me every morning if I will play with him.  I love to play, but I can’t keep up with the imagination! He expects a different voice for every animal character and I love that he has “conversations” between them.  He loves to play with his Paw Patrol figures and Rescue Bots and will interact the two together.  He doesn’t mind playing alone either, but he much prefers someone to play with him.  He is enjoying his soccer practices and was kicking a ball up and down the hall yesterday morning repeating directives the coach uses in his practices.  We have had several nice days lately and they have been able to play outside.  They love being outside, especially if bubbles are involved.  Landon likes to do worksheets and projects with me and it is when we are working together that his perfectionism shines through.  We made rainbows today by gluing fruit loops on paper and he meticulously applied glue and matched colors to make the rainbow.  (Riley covered the paper in glue and applied about 5 fruit loops and ran away).  He still loves to snuggle up with me in the morning and eat his cereal from my lap and I soak in every minute of it.  He loves to eat dry cereal (so he can pick it up with his fingers he tells me), “messy cookies” (soft cereal bars), and “yogurt beans” (yogurt covered raisins that must be served in a small yellow container).  He LOVES milk and would drink it all day long if I let him.  They went to the dentist a few weeks ago for their cleaning (only second ever visit) and they did great.  He climbed right up in the chair and had no issues until the end when I think he was just on sensory overload.  He likes things to be a particular way and struggles a bit at first with change but will usually catch on.  It has been warm out and we tried to put shorts on Landon yesterday and he informed us that his “pants didn’t touch his ankles” and he refused to wear them.  I think some of his “quirks” can be frustrating to other people, but I just kind of roll with them.  I know to open the fruit snacks a certain way, to only use the yellow cup for the yogurt beans, to give him the green spoon and fork, to let him flush the toilet and close the garage door when we pull out of the garage.  I think a lot of this is just typical three year old behavior, but admittedly it can be exhausting at times. 

Riley is Riley.  She never stops moving or talking and prefers to be in the same room as me at all times.  She too likes to snuggle, but on her terms and she will place your hands where she wants them to be.  She even asks to hold my hand while I am driving the car.   She loves to sing and have me sing to her, especially when she is upset.  The top requested song is “5 Little Speckled Frogs.”  She recently became upset while we were out shopping so I had to carry her through the store singing the song while the Hubby pushed a massively full cart with Landon hanging off the side occasionally jumping down to restack the cans of soup to his liking.  I can only imagine what we look like in public and I hope that we are able to give people a smile.  I often find her singing along in the car as well, she likes songs that have repetition- so like any pop song right now.  She specifically likes Maroon 5 “Don’t Wanna Know.”  She still loves to be an animal and I have to stop her from pretending to be a dog sometimes when we are out.  It isn’t appropriate to crawl on the floor and bark in all situations.  Her favorite toys to play with are her animals and she has a large collection of stuffed animals at this point.  She loves to color and “write” letters – no scrap of paper in this house is safe.  She is showing a lot of improvement with her coloring and drawing her own shapes and letters, it just has to be on her time.  You can’t force her to sit still and get the “work” done.  Riley loves to eat fruit, yogurts, and cheeses.  Typically the first thing out of her mouth in the morning is asking me for cheese- she may be addicted.  She still loves to watch Curious George and that is about the only thing she will ask to watch other than Paw Patrol. 

We had a few adventures this month.  They have soccer practice every Saturday morning and they love it.  They can’t wait to get there and they are doing well with following directions and learning the skills.  We took them to meet Curious George at the mall and I thought Riley would be all over it, but she hid behind me while Landon ran up to hug him.  We have been doing some projects this month at home related to the weather and they enjoy being able to tell me what the weather is like daily.  We have been able to spend more time outside – even ate a few meals out there.  They have enjoyed a few trips to Story Time at the library and we get new books each week.  We even did some bowling for charity. The true adventure will come in April when I (with the help of a friend) am driving the kids back to Illinois for Easter.  Daddy gets to lead a bachelor life for 1.5 weeks! (Never fear he will have a list of things to get done – ha ha)


Foil Painting 

Waiting on our dinosaur to hatch! 


Story Time! 

"Puddle jumping" to practice our numbers 

I build a fort almost daily... 

Making Shamrocks 



Legos at the library 

Neither one will nap anymore... 

so this is what a short car ride looks like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment